05 Jun COVID-19 Testing for Dogs
Testing the dog: Oregon State University is testing domestic animals for FREE.
To obtain testing approval, the following criteria must be met:
1.Test approval requires that the animal be from a home with a human case of COVID-19 and the animal must present with respiratory or gastrointestinal signs.
2. Must have Idaho Public Health Veterinarian, Dr. Leslie Tengelsen’s, approval first. Contact Dr. Tengelsen, Leslie.Tengelsen@dhw.idaho.gov.
3. Once the decision is made to test, the veterinarian should collect samples with proper PPE (eye protection, mask, gown, and gloves in a closed room).
- Use only Dacron or polyester swabs to collect a deep oral or nasal sample.
- Place swabs in a sterile tube with ¼ cc of saline (no gel or anticoagulant).
- Close the tube and refrigerate. Ship overnight on ice packs (M-Th only). Do not ship on Friday.
- A fecal sample may be included if available. Must be placed in a sealed leak proof container.
- Complete the OSU OVDL general submission form:ATTACHED
Requests should contain the following information:
- Animal owner’s name, address, email address, and phone number
- Animal’s name, species, age, sex
- Animal’s location if different from the owner’s address
- Veterinarian’s reason for testing the animal(s)
- Findings of physical, radiographic, or sonographic examinations and complete patient history